Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful,

for beauty is God’s handwriting.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pajamas at School

Brooke and I differ on fashion.  To her if it's comfy- it's fashion.  She likes to wear the same comfy things over and over again.  I buy her what I consider to be fashionable which she chooses  not to wear until they are nearly too small and then they become her favorite thing and she says, "I love this!  I wish it wasn't almost too small."  I just cringe and sometimes bite my tongue.

For that reason she got "nearly" no clothes for Christmas.  At the last minute I saw the cutest pink cheetah sweat suit.  I thought, "Ahhhhhhh.  Comfy and cute.  How could I go wrong?" I threw it in the basket.

It sat for weeks.  Finally I said, "Brooke (choosing not to bite my tongue), why don't you wear your new sweat suit with the cute jacket before it gets too small?"  "Nahhhhhh.  I don't want to." "Ok- I'm not buying you anymore clothes because they just sit there and go to waste."  She put on the pink cheetahs.

That day she came home from school near tears.  Evidently several people asked her why she was wearing her pajamas at school when it wasn't pajama day.  It was worse than when I was out of town and her dad let her get dressed out of the dress up box wearing a mini skirt and fishnet stockings with high heeled church shoes.  The teacher called it "colorful".  We had another word for it.

The next day after the cheetah pants incident I let her wear what she wanted... not - saying - a - word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment