Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful,

for beauty is God’s handwriting.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lessons

I know I don't usually share personal "stuff", this is more of a documenting what our family does kind of blog, but here goes.

The other day in my prayers I asked if I could be used in a meaningful way, more than the normal meaningful stuff I do.  I got a phone call.  The. Very. Next. Day.  

I was asked to teach a class for a Relief Society night about scriptures.  I haven't taught adults since I was Relief Society President over a year ago. I'm pretty much out of the loop.  When she asked, I remembered my prayer and thought, oh yeah.   My topic would be Family Scripture study.  Why couldn't I get Personal scripture study?  Yes, we do family scriptures, but it's not always easy.  I don't have all the answers.  I know I love my scriptures.  I know I couldn't live without them.  I know I want my family to feel the same way, but still, I haven't been able to teach them all the things I have learned through my personal study.  They're just not quite as willing.  But I try.  Sometimes it's wonderful and that's what keeps me going, but other times the teenagers come with a blanket over their head saying how long will this take?  How many verses?  I have homework.  Other times we have fun and it opens conversations that we wouldn't otherwise have.  It gathers us together and leads automatically into family prayer.  They hear more than they act like they do.  Those are the things that have kept us going for the past 10 years.  It's not always easy.  Then I thought maybe others felt that way too.  Maybe they didn't want someone with all the answers.  

The lesson was for me.  It gave me the drive to continue on... even it's hard.  I have the faith that eventually it will pay off.

We talked about several things and of course the ladies had some great suggestions.  Mostly we discovered that you have to do what works for your family:

How?
1.     Decide you want this for your family and determine to do it.
2.     Hold a family counsel
a.     Set a time- seek the guidance of the spirit to help you decide
b.     Establish what you will study together.  Consider a certain amount of time or amount to read each day
3.     Try to help each member have their own scriptures.
a.     Take turns reading
b.     Expound
4.     Young children could draw pictures
5.     Read correlating scriptures like baptism, Easter, priesthood ordination
6.     Keep a family notebook for recording questions, goals, or impressions
7.     Stick with it!!!!

2 Ne. 31:20: Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.


Hang in there!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment