Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful,

for beauty is God’s handwriting.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Whatever Works

After 21 years of being a parent I am tired of talking to my kids about keeping their rooms clean.
 I felt like a recording that even I was tired of hearing.
So, they came home with this taped to their doors today:

You may notice a change in your room when you go in.  It “looks” clean, but it’s really not.

I needed to vacuum today, but couldn’t because of the mess on your floor, so I did you a favor and picked it up.  This time I put it on your bed for you so you could put it away.  Next time, I will consider D.I.’ing it.

Your dad and I work hard to help your lives be happy, comfortable, and worthwhile.  He works everyday to earn money for your lifestyle, so he can’t and shouldn’t have to clean your room.  I buy groceries, do laundry, fix meals, come to your activities, do carpool, and all the other little things I get to do being a mother, so I really don’t have time to clean your room either. 

You may wonder why it’s important to keep your things nice, clean, and organized.  Did you know that when your room is clean, it’s a nicer place to be, it saves time because you can find things, and it shows respect to your parents, yourself, and your Heavenly Father for what you've been given.

I have let it go for a long time because I don’t like to argue with you.  I realize you have to want it for yourself.  Please make a goal to keep your things nice.  It’s important.  We don’t want to live in a messy, yucky house and we need to show that we can handle having nice things, otherwise why should we have them?  If you can’t find a place to put the things that are arranged on your bed, feel free to get a bag and throw them away, or I would be happy to donate them to charity. 

I love you,

Mom

It worked... today.

3 comments:

  1. I am totally going to have to copy this! Is it still working???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, does a clean room ever stay clean? It worked for awhile. Probably needs a repeat!

    ReplyDelete

Comment